May 27, 2014
CrossFit Announces Team Competition Series
By William Imbo
May 30, 2014
So the big news of the last 48 hours that’s got everyone in the community talking is that CrossFit has announced a new team competition that’s set to start this fall. Some of you may remember that Dave Castro had announced that there would be some off-season events during the live announcement of 14.5 during the Open, and now we know what the first of those competitions will be.
So let’s break down what we do know about this team competition series:
- This will be an online competition—much like the Open is.
- The series will consist of three separate competitions, as well as an overall leaderboard for teams who complete the series.
- Teams will consist of two men and two women who perform the workouts together. Additionally, teams can include members from different gyms and there is no requirement for how long they have trained together—an obvious change from the team rules of the Open.
- Sponsored teams and ‘Super Teams’ (imagine the best four CrossFitter’s in the world on a team) are allowed.
- There will be scaled divisions, including masters.
- Each of the competitions will feature multiple workouts, with the first set to be released the week of August 28, followed by additional workouts the weeks of September 18 and October 9, 2014. The number and style of the workouts will be announced on these dates.
- Once a workout is announced, teams have three days to submit their scores. At this time, the CrossFit Games site doesn’t mention whether teams will have to submit a video of their workouts to be considered for their scores to count, but one would assume that that is the case.
- Cash prizes will be awarded to the winners of each competition and to the overall leaders once the series is complete.
- Team registatrion begins once Regionals are over, with all rosters to be finalized in August.
- Registration will cost $100 for CrossFit affiliate teams and $500 for unaffiliated or sponsored teams.
What do you think of the idea?